Don’t You Forget About Me: A field guide to making an impact.
In my time, I have heard a lot of people describe certain people as unforgettable, as sparkly, as magical, as attention capturing… You know the type of people I mean. The type of people who walk into a room and command attention, the type of people who get brought up in anecdotes and invited everywhere. Yeah, those guys. More often than not, people assume they couldn’t possibly be someone who commands this sort of attention; that making an impact is some mystical, unattainable thing. Here are some tips to leave yourself in people’s minds for longer.
- If you don’t know anyone at the party (or even if your friend has gone to the bathroom), just smile and introduce yourself to someone. There’s nothing worse than someone standing awkwardly in the corner of a room pretending to text. Some people will be nice and try to include you, but most of the time no-one’s going to make the effort if you don’t. Too embarrassed? Dude. You’re standing alone at a party. It can’t get that much worse.
- Hold your head high, no matter where you are, who you’re with or what you look like. This one is a no brainer; interesting people are people who’re proud to be themselves and live the lives they do, no matter the details of either.
- Say what’s on your mind, even if sometimes it’s inappropriate or not that funny. Obviously you can’t go around making Taliban jokes or telling people their shoes are ugly, but you can open yourself up a bit more, let down your guard and quit worrying about coming across as a total dork. A massive part of being charismatic is not giving a shit and just doing your own thing - for some people this takes a lot of practice but it’s worth it once you get to that stage of confidence.
Honestly, it all just comes down to how you see the world. If you see your peers and surroundings as scary and judgemental, then you’re going to come across as shy and you’re never going to meet new people or make new friends. However, even if you’re introverted and nervous, as long as you view those around you as potentially nice people who have something to offer you (and vice versa!) then your open mindedness and willingness to participate in new situations will shine out of you, even if you are a bit on the quiet side.
There’s no magic personality, nor is there a magic formula for making friends/getting popular/being noticed/whatever you are hoping to achieve… But there are magic people, and those magic people are the ones who know who they are, where they stand, and are willing to let others stand next to them and enjoy the ride.
2:24 PM on Friday 8th February 2013
- lila-zacharov likes this
- sidewalktherapy reblogged this from spearmintblonde
- aldergroves likes this
- thespacetimeodyssey likes this
- spaceboundxo likes this
- upperclassmen reblogged this from floral-fucker
- flowerbitch-1o reblogged this from iwroteyoutwentysixletters
- jlaunlimited reblogged this from iwroteyoutwentysixletters
- recursiverecursion likes this
- adventuresinwriting likes this
- iwroteyoutwentysixletters reblogged this from worsethanqueer
- floral-fucker reblogged this from worsethanqueer
- worsethanqueer reblogged this from every-leaf
- du-levande reblogged this from spearmintblonde
- beautiful--kkryptonite reblogged this from deck-my-balls-with-holly
- heavydutydoc reblogged this from deck-my-balls-with-holly
- deck-my-balls-with-holly reblogged this from every-leaf
- every-leaf reblogged this from spearmintblonde
- de-votch-ka likes this
- selfish-daisy likes this
- celwinn likes this
- phoenix-inthetardis reblogged this from crawlingbacktoal
- corduroypantalones likes this
- maybe--okay likes this
- misfit47 likes this
- shereeldupont likes this
- estheralice reblogged this from spearmintblonde
- lunaticvibrations likes this
- sony- likes this
- skeletonsinthedark likes this
- phoenix-inthetardis likes this
- crawlingbacktoal reblogged this from calmdownmorrissey
- calmdownmorrissey reblogged this from spearmintblonde
- chaoticness likes this
- fragmentedd likes this
- pinkwargasm likes this
- letsrun-awaytonight likes this
- mzzc likes this
- itsleonpeck likes this
- verbavolantxx likes this
- heartpaintedred reblogged this from spearmintblonde
- uhohfiveoh likes this
- dazedwallflower likes this
- kawaiidulce likes this
- l-uciddd likes this
- girlswithuterusesandstuff likes this
- theworldendswithtwo likes this
- alonetogethr likes this